Register a Wyoming Foreign LLC
Registering a Wyoming foreign LLC allows you to conduct business in Wyoming after you’ve formed your LLC in different state or jurisdiction. All “foreign” means in this case is that you set up a company outside of Wyoming and now want the company to do business in Wyoming.
So, if you formed a limited liability company in New Mexico and decided you wanted to expand operations to Wyoming, you’d need to file an application for Certificate of Authority with the Wyoming Secretary of State. You’ll need some documents from your LLC’s home state and from Wyoming to register your foreign LLC. The process isn’t too complicated as you’ll see below, but if you’d rather not worry about more paperwork, we can register your foreign LLC in Wyoming for you.
Register Your Foreign LLC in Wyoming Now!
Steps to Register a Foreign LLC in Wyoming
Registering a foreign LLC in Wyoming allows your business to operate in Wyoming legally and extends your business’s asset protection to Wyoming as well. So how do you register a foreign LLC in Wyoming?
- Look up Your LLC Name. You need to make sure you get the exact legal name of your LLC as listed in your home state (the state in which you first formed your LLC). You can find this information on your original Articles of Organization, or you can search for your name on the website of the state agency that forms LLCs (typically the Secretary of State, but in New Jersey for example, it’s the Department of Revenue).
- Obtain a Certificate of Good Standing. You’ll need to order a Certificate of Good Standing from the state in which you formed your LLC. Note that your home state might not call it a Certificate of Good Standing—in that case, order the equivalent of that document to verify that your LLC is in good standing (e.g., the state of Washington calls it a Certificate of Good Standing or Certificate of Existence).
- Hire a Wyoming Registered Agent. You’ll need a registered agent who is physically located in Wyoming. We provided Wyoming registered agent services for only $25 a year—easily the most economical choice in the state.
- Complete a Wyoming LLC Certificate of Authority. You must fill out an application for a Wyoming Certificate of Authority. Your registered agent (be it you or a third party) must sign the registered agent Consent to Appointment on the last page of the application for Certificate of Authority. If you hire us, you’ll find these documents in your online account, along with everything you need to register your foreign LLC in Wyoming quickly and simply.
- File Your Documents with the Secretary of State. Once you’ve got your original Certificate of Good Standing from your home state, you’ll compile that document with your signed application for a Wyoming LLC Certificate of Authority and your signed registered agent consent form. Mail everything together with a check for $100 made out to the Wyoming Secretary of State.
Wyoming Secretary of State
Herschler Building East, Suite 101
122 W 25th Street
Cheyenne, WY 82002-0020
That’s it! A filed copy of your Wyoming Certificate of Authority will be mailed back to you (you can also do a Wyoming name search to see it quicker). You can also hire us as your registered agent and have us file everything for you. We provide a secure online account through which you can complete the process, access professional business services, and receive automatic updates on the status of your filing.
Get a Registered Agent – $25
Wyoming Foreign LLC FAQs
Why register a foreign LLC in Wyoming?
Registering a foreign LLC in Wyoming is required if you want to conduct business in Wyoming. And you’ll want to register your Wyoming foreign LLC anyway. Think of it in terms of having car insurance. Yes, it is required. But even if it weren’t required and you think everything’s fine and dandy because you’re saving on premiums up front, it only takes one accident to pit people in a deep financial hole. Same thing applies to registering a foreign LLC in Wyoming—it’s like your required insurance to avoid suffering the consequences if your business doesn’t have the asset protection of being an officially recognized Wyoming LLC.
Plus, once you’ve registered your Wyoming foreign LLC, you also get to reap other Wyoming LLC Benefits. For only $150, we can register your foreign LLC in Wyoming today, including a professional Wyoming address for your business, one year of our registered agent services, and additional business services!
How much does it cost to register a foreign LLC in Wyoming?
The cost to register a foreign LLC in Wyoming includes any fees for obtaining a Certificate of Good Standing from your LLC’s home state, the Wyoming Secretary of State’s $100 filing fee, and the cost of obtaining a registered agent. So it really depends on the cost of your home state’s Certificate of Good Standing and the cost of your registered agent.
We can streamline and simplify the process for you while providing you the most economical Wyoming registered agent services at $25 a year. That along with state filing fees and your Certificate of Good Standing could cost you less than $200 in total to get started (along with $62 in Annual Report fees and $25 / year for continued registered agent service).
What are the requirements for a foreign Wyoming LLC?
All foreign LLCs in Wyoming will require a Wyoming registered agent and a Wyoming registered office. We charge $25 a year to act as your Wyoming Registered Agent and Wyoming Registered Office. A Foreign Wyoming LLC is not an LLC from a non-USA country. It simply means you formed your LLC already and you want to do business here. So if you formed a Delaware LLC, you get a Delaware certificate of status, and file as a foreign (non-Wyoming) LLC.
Many of our foreign clients that are based outside the US, think they need a foreign Wyoming LLC. You do not need a foreign Wyoming LLC. You need a domestic Wyoming LLC.
Can I form an LLC in Wyoming without living there?
Yes, you can form an LLC in Wyoming from pretty much anywhere in the world. In fact, Wyoming has been a major draw for forming LLCs among non-residents. However, it’s worth noting here that if you’re forming a brand new LLC in Wyoming, then you’re forming a typical domestic LLC. If you have an existing LLC in another jurisdiction and would like to do business in Wyoming, then you’d form a foreign LLC in Wyoming. Either way, you do not need to be physically present in Wyoming to do business in Wyoming.
Can I form an LLC in Wyoming as a non resident?
Yes, you can form a domestic LLC in Wyoming as a non-US resident from pretty much anywhere in the world! In fact, Wyoming has been a major draw for forming LLCs among non-residents worldwide. There are some special considerations, though. For instance, applying for an IRS Employee Identification Number (EIN) can be tricky for non-US residents. Learn some of those potential hiccups—and how you can navigate them—in our page on the benefits of forming an anonymous Wyoming LLC without being a resident.
Again, if this is an LLC that you’re starting from scratch as a non-resident, then you’re forming a domestic Wyoming LLC, not a foreign Wyoming LLC. A foreign Wyoming LLC is a company that’s registered to do business in Wyoming but was initially formed elsewhere. If you have an existing LLC in another jurisdiction and would like to do business in Wyoming, then you’d form a foreign LLC in Wyoming. Either way, you do not need to be physically present in Wyoming to do business in Wyoming.
Can I move a company to Wyoming?
Yes. Keep in mind that the above process allows you to register a foreign LLC to do business in Wyoming. You can, however, move your company to Wyoming via a process called Domestication. The process involves dissolving your LLC in your home state in order to continue its existence in Wyoming while retaining the company’s history and formation date. Check out our step-by-step guide on how to move a Nevada company to Wyoming in order to get a sense of what you can expect.